Yes, happiness is a function of our expectations — or, as it has been said: “Happiness equals reality minus expectations.” Given that neat formulation, there are two ways to attack the problem: boost our reality or lower our expectations. Most of us choose the former. We’d rather stew in our misery than trim our expectations. Lowering our sights smacks us as a cop out, un-American. Better a nation of morose overachievers, we reason, than a land of happy slackers.
Few suggestions to lower your expectations in Kuwait:
- Expect dusty weather everyday.
- Islamists in Parliament will succeed not only in segregating boys and girls in private schools but also in streets, shopping malls, at work and yes even in our homes!
- All men will be required to grow beards and trim their dishdasha and women should cover head to toe.
- The second subject of the constitution is amended to include the Taliban as source for legislation and the picture of Shaikh Abdullah Al-Salim receiving the constitution is replaced by Shaikh Mulla Omar receiving it from Shaikh Tabtabie and Shaikh Hayif.
- Oil prices down to $10 and we are back to pearl diving.
Now aren't you glad the above is not happening.. at least for now!