Here are few fun facts from the book Freakonomics:
- Timber cutter is the most dangerous job in the United States, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, with a 1 in 200 chance of being killed over four years’ time.
- The typical prostitute earns more than the typical architect. (Sorry architects out there!)
- It costs about $25,000 a year to keep someone incarcerated in prison.
- Switzerland has more firearms than just about any other country on per capita basis, and yet it is one of the safest places in the world.
- A Swimming pool in a house is 100 times more likely to kill a child than a gun in a house.
- The per hour death rate of driving as opposed to flying is about equal. (Even though there are more accidents in driving, people spend more hours driving than flying so the the per hour rate evens out.)
- A study shows that more than 50% of resumes contain lies.